In the past decade, Amazon has shot up to the top in e-commerce around the world, but how many people used Amazon in 2022? As it turns out, over 300 million people shop on Amazon every day. The online retailer has around 1.9 million sellers globally, and the selection of products is seemingly endless.
In this statistics article, we’ll reveal the most compelling data on Amazon users in the U.S. and worldwide, including daily Amazon orders, monthly active users on the site, and the average spending of Amazon Prime subscribers.
How Many Orders Does Amazon Process Each Day?
Amazon’s global workforce ships around 1.6 million packages daily, and those include only the products sold by the company itself. Third-party sellers, which make up a significant portion of the Amazon Marketplace, process 240,000 orders per hour. The remarkable efficiency of Amazon’s order processing and shipping results in an average of $638 million in sales every day.
- Amazon makes about $7,300 per second from online orders.
- If you break down the frequency of Amazon orders by the hour, minute, and second, you get: 66,000 orders every hour, 1,110 orders per minute, and 18.5 orders each second.
- Third-party Amazon sellers receive about 67 orders per second and 4,000 orders each minute.
- Amazon sells more than 12 million products on its own, while third-party sellers increase that number to over 353 million products.
- Third-party sellers contribute around 60% of Amazon’s retail sales.
Number of Amazon Visits per Day
Amazon had 2 billion worldwide visits each month during the period from December 2021 to May 2022, including each mobile and desktop visit. The average number of visitors in December 2021 was around 93.5 million per day, the highest in the period.
Visitors peak during the holidays when shoppers are buying gifts for their loved ones and maintain the numbers in January, perhaps due to consumers spending their Amazon gift cards. In February 2022, the number of visitors, including every desktop and mobile visit, was 2.2 billion, an average of 78.6 million every day.
The Number of Amazon Users in the U.S. in 2022
The United States is Amazon’s largest market worldwide, with 148.6 million Amazon Prime members as of 2022. With over 200 million Amazon Prime members globally, the U.S. makes up 74.3% of all Prime shoppers.
- 67% of US households have an Amazon Prime membership, with 76.6 million households in total.
- Amazon generates around $25 billion annually in retail subscription fees.
- The American state with the highest Amazon usage is North Carolina, with 70% of the population using the online retail site.
- Amazon Prime members increased by 49% from 2017, when the number of subscribers was 99.7 million.
How Many Active Customer Accounts Does Amazon Have?
Entrepreneurs looking to start a business on the Amazon Marketplace can potentially reach Amazon’s 300 million active customer accounts in over 180 countries. Despite the competition from around 1.9 million third-party sellers, small-to-medium businesses on Amazon continue to grow each year.
- In one 12-month period ending in 2020, small-to-medium businesses selling on Amazon had an average of about $160,000 in retail sales, up from $100,000 the previous year.
- Amazon’s B2B channel, Amazon Business, has over 1 million customer accounts globally.
- Amazon’s market share among U.S. e-commerce companies is 37.8%, the next highest being Walmart.com at 6.3%.
How Many People Visit Amazon.com Every Month Among Active Users?
Amazon has over 197 million monthly active users as of 2022. The online retailer’s shopping app has over 98 million monthly active users in the U.S. The website receives around 2.2 billion visits per month, more than double that of the second-most popular shopping site, eBay.
What Percentage of Amazon Users Have Prime Subscription?
Around 50% of Amazon users worldwide have a Prime subscription, showing how successful the e-commerce company has been in making the online shopping membership worth the cost for consumers. In the U.S., 65% of all Amazon users are Prime members, 40% of whom make two to four orders every month, and 36% of whom make five to nine orders monthly.
When Amazon raised its Prime membership cost in early 2022, 14% planned to cancel their subscription, while 47% planned to renew despite the extra cost.
Total Amazon Prime Members Worldwide
Over 200 million shoppers have a paid Amazon Prime membership worldwide, 100 million more than in 2018. Prime memberships are available in 23 countries, but the U.S. has the highest number of Prime members, with 148.6 million in 2022.
- Prime Day 2021 made over $11.8 billion in sales.
- 90% of Prime subscribers got the membership for the benefit of no shipping costs.
- Amazon generates more than $25 billion from Prime subscriptions yearly.
- The average Prime member spends around $1,400 annually.
- 55% of Canadian shoppers use Amazon Prime.
- In 2022, Prime members purchased 300 million products.
- The most visited e-commerce site in Europe is amazon.de.
Average Spending on Amazon per Month
The benefits of Amazon Prime, including fast, free shipping, persuade many U.S. shoppers to spend money each month on the online retail site. While Amazon Prime members spend an average of $1,400 annually, non-Prime members spend around $600 each year on Amazon.
The following shows the average monthly spending for U.S. Prime members in 2021:
- $51 to $100 a month: 31%
- Less than $50 a month: 26%
- $101 to $200: 23%
- $201 to $500: 13%
- $500 to $1,000: 4%
- More than $1,000: 2%
Preferred Device of Amazon Users
Around 65% of Amazon users used PC devices, such as a desktop or laptop, for shopping on the online marketplace during a six-month period in 2020. At the same time, 24% of shoppers used mobile devices to order their items from Amazon. The device with the lowest usage was the Amazon Echo, the smart device that enables you to order items from Amazon verbally.
Top Reason Why People Use Amazon
In a 2020 survey, 79.8% of users responded that the top reason they use Amazon is the fast, free shipping. In second place is the vast product selection, which 68.9% of shoppers chose as their primary reason for choosing the site. 65.7% said they use Amazon because they’re Prime members.
The top reason people use Amazon varies across multiple sources, but the two most frequently cited motivations are the massive selection of items and impressively fast shipping that Prime members get for free.
Average Time Spent on Amazon
The average session duration for Amazon is 10 minutes and 16 seconds, the highest among other popular e-commerce retailers like eBay, Walmart, and Best Buy. In December 2017, Amazon shoppers spent 22.6 billion minutes on the site, more than the rest of the top 10 e-commerce sites combined.
Amazon’s growth isn’t slowing down in 2022. It’s evident from the above statistics that consumers around the world are continuing to flock to the online retail giant. Amazon’s revenue in 2021 was $469.8 billion, an increase of 21% from the prior year, and experts predict the company’s sales to increase significantly every year.
Much of Amazon’s development likely comes from its remarkably efficient processing and shipping system, which delivers 1.6 million packages daily. When you can order almost anything you want and get it within one to two days for free, it’s no wonder Amazon has over 200 million Prime members worldwide.